[whispersystems] Can we remove the SMS feature completely?
Thejesh GN
2015-04-01 12:33:44 UTC
Since the secure SMS option is removed. To reduce the confusion, can we
remove insecure SMS option too?

Also remove the ability to capture incoming SMS and storing it. This will
make it a clear that TextSecure is data based messaging App only and has
nothing to do with SMS.

This will help users who use TextSecure but don't follow any discussion
here or on GH

https://github.com/WhisperSystems/TextSecure/issues/2848

Thej
--
Thejesh GN *⏚* ಀೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎಚ್
http://thejeshgn.com
GPG ID : 0xBFFC8DD3C06DD6B0
Steffen Märcker
2015-04-01 12:36:50 UTC
Don't! In my opinion integrating SMS/MMS functionality is one of TS's main
strength. I really don't want to bother with different messaging clients
for different protocols.

Best, Steffen
Post by Thejesh GN
Since the secure SMS option is removed. To reduce the confusion, can we
remove insecure SMS option too?
Also remove the ability to capture incoming SMS and storing it. This will
make it a clear that TextSecure is data based messaging App only and has
nothing to do with SMS.
This will help users who use TextSecure but don't follow any discussion
here or on GH
https://github.com/WhisperSystems/TextSecure/issues/2848
Thej
--
Thejesh GN *⏚* ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com
GPG ID : 0xBFFC8DD3C06DD6B0
David Niehues
2015-04-01 12:41:35 UTC
Steffen is totally right! It's worse enough, that support for encrypted
sms was removes due to
compatability issues with ios and the caused user experience issues.

Having one app for sms and encrypted communication is a big plus of
TextSecure!
GPG ID : 0xBFFC8DD3C06DD6B0
Bryan Phelps
2015-04-01 13:11:58 UTC
Agreed, keep sms support. I do think it needs to be more clear on when a message is encrypted and when it's not though. At times I hit send without knowing if it's going to use the encrypted data channel or plain text sms.
--Bryan Phelps
ReggX
2015-04-01 12:42:43 UTC
Strongly disagree.

I like Textsecure's ability to to send and, more importantly, receive sms
and store them in encrypted form.

All my TS contacts use data and all my normal contacts use sms. Splitting
them up would mean having to use multiple apps again, which is undesirable.
Matej Kovacic
2015-04-01 13:02:40 UTC
Post by ReggX
I like Textsecure's ability to to send and, more importantly, receive
sms and store them in encrypted form.
Storing SMS' in encrypted form is important feature, I agree.

However, how would that interfere with users who would like to use
SMSSecure or some other app for encrypted SMS'es?

Regards,

M.
ReggX
M.
Moxie Marlinspike

http://www.thoughtcrime.org
David Gessel
2015-06-10 19:26:10 UTC
Johan Wevers
2015-06-10 21:50:00 UTC
Post by David Gessel
Personally, I really think TextSecure should remove the SMS feature completely.
Yes, I agree. While Iiked the unified approach, now that they have
abandoned encrypted sms they should leave the space for other apps
Post by David Gessel
and move to securecom,
Securecom seems to be dead on development. SMSSecure also cloned
TextSecure and removed all push messaging. I think they are more
trustworthy, their repo at Github is also much more alive and they don't
try to hide that the code came from TextSecure like securecom does. It
will even coexist with TextSecure on the same device unlike securecom.
Post by David Gessel
and I have no where near the penetration I used to.
SMSSecure encrypted sms messages can be decrypted by Textsecure 2.6.4 or
lower.
--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Johan Wevers
Bryan
2015-06-10 22:14:22 UTC
Alice Riot
2015-06-10 22:46:25 UTC
Speaking from my experience in trying to get activists and other (usually) non
tech-savvy folks to secure their communications, I think it's generally harder
to sell someone on increasing the number of applications they need to use.

In my mind, the unified inbox for mobile messaging that TextSecure bring to
android is a big help in this regard - it's easy to explain to people (texts
are as normal, plus secure messaging for other TS users) and I think it enables
everyday users to evangelize the platform more.

I think how textsecure works now is a good balance: if you want to use
a different SMS app you can set a different default app - so if you want to put
in the effort to use a secure SMS app you can, and users for whom that is too
much friction will have a sane default.
--
~*~ alice ~*~
PGP fingerprint: 43D1 4BEF 39F7 4027 B02A DC4D 3D47 670F 4226 9A83
Steffen Märcker
2015-06-11 12:25:47 UTC
I wholeheartedly agree. Serving as SMS client is one of the best and
unique features of TextSecure and _the_ selling point to convince other to
use it. Being "just another messenger" is exactly the reason why most of
my iOS friends didn't give Signal even a try.

2Ct, Steffen
m***@gmx.de
Couldn't have said it better.
Richard
2015-06-11 13:45:23 UTC
Agreed! on the ground we have teams of non-technical users adopting TS
en-masse, and everyone is making it their default SMS client. I've found
it actually causes early adopters to become evangelists and help support
others to adopt it mostly because they are less and less comfortable
with receiving unencrypted comms, which is made all the more obvious by
the locked/unlocked icon. Instead of people asking "whats your number"
at meetings, their first question is "do you have TS or Signal?" lol!
Makes my job a lot easier :)
Couldn't have said it better.
TWfromSWD
2015-06-11 15:48:02 UTC
I totally agree! I really like that I don't have to mess with other
Clients and can manage all my Messages in one App. I think, that is one
of many Advantages of TextSecure.
Couldn't have said it better.
Diogo
2015-06-21 18:53:46 UTC
Hello,

I am not going to try to convince anyone about dropping or not SMS
feature. SMS is indeed a good feature since TS does disk encryption to
it on your personal phone.

The point to me is that when we deal with non-tech people, people who
don't care about encryption, the unencrypted follow-ups leaks your
conversation to whatever phone company.

One of the advantages of dropping SMS was a better handle of messages
when uninstalling TS. Nowadays, the same bug persists and sometimes,
this varies from user to user, even if both users are using TS, users
can leak conversation by SMS.

Please, some people have real concerns about it and need to be heard and
to have a serious conversation about this.

We are not trying to troll as some people over the list suggested. This
is not about if we like or not SMS feature.

Of course everybody would love it if it was reasonable. Since TS
dropped. We need a better solution. Maybe to have some constraints like:

- If you are talking through SMS channel, you should be able to reply
only over SMS.

- If you are talking through encrypted data channel, you should be able
to reply only over encrypted data channel.

That would avoid the unencrypted follow-ups and conversation leaks for now.

Once again, I would like to have a serious, non-troll, conversation
about it.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Diogo
it WAS the advantage of textsecure, by removing the encrypted sms
feature they made me "mess" around with two apps.
having "secure" in its name, it implies that also the messages are
secure (also sms) which simply are not.
my personal opionion is, bring back the encrypted sms feature or drop
the sms feature completly.
but its only an opionion and i don't really care, i dropped textsecure
and switched to smssecure.
really happy they made a fork.
just my 2cts.
Couldn't have said it better.
Bryan
2015-06-21 21:54:21 UTC
The issue with that is then users could have two separate threads going with the same contact. One via sms and one over the encrypted data channel. If you want to talk about confusing a user that would do it. One thread is only sms and one is encrypted data. Even I would often mistakenly use the unencrypted thread even though I prefer the encrypted channel whenever possible.

--Bryan

Diogo
2015-06-22 00:24:31 UTC
Indeed, that is one of the problems of telegram. People often use
unencrypted thread and think they are 'safe'.

Still, have a one direction encrypted and on the opposite direction
unencrypted does *not* solve the problem.

I think the best way to avoid this is to have one thread and users have
to agree on using the same channel. This does not have to be necessarily
as difficult as otr. I could be much more simple.

Diogo
Couldn't have said it better.
Matej Kovacic
2015-06-10 23:20:34 UTC
Post by Bryan
Personally I see where you're coming from, but I love having all
my messages in a central location. If I get a secure message it's
blue, otherwise it's green. The lock icon also identifies which is
which.
It is true. And if the other party is using TextSecure/Signal,
encrypted message will be sent automatically. So you do not need to
wonder which of your contacts have TextSecure and which does not.

Regards,

M.
- --
PGP Fingerprint: D241 F62F 8FB7 8E1B 1944 5D71 0A53 196C D360 BBE2
PGP Key:
http://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x0A53196CD360BBE2